Thursday, August 16, 2012

Do you know who to call?

Do you know who to call?
I live in New York City and while walking home the other day I saw a young fledgling hawk on a sidewalk.  The poor thing was scared and hurt or ill because it didn’t fly away when a crowd gathered to get photos of him, he just hopped away. I called 311, a general help line in NYC that will connect you to different agencies and they connected me to Animal Control. I explained the situation and they asked me if it was hurt.  I told them it isn’t flying away so something wasn’t right with the hawk. They told me it was probably fine and was learning how to fly and its mother was some place close. I explained to them that this hawk was never seeing its mother again because there was a crowd getting closer and closer to it and I didn’t trust that everybody was going to be careful or considerate of the scared bird. He said if the bird wasn’t hurt or ill there was nothing they would do and hung up.
This incident left me feeling helpless and showed me how unprepared I am to handle a situation that is out of the ordinary.  NYC is a big city and Animal Control has a lot do to but that wasn’t helping this hawk and I didn’t know who else to call. I decided right then I was going to put in my contacts who to call in case of an emergency involving an exotic or wild animal. I did a Google search of vets for exotic and wild animals and could not believe how many there are in Manhattan.  I recommend you do the same where you live. Check to find out if there are exotic medicine veterinarians, wildlife rehabilitation centers or major animal hospitals where you live that can help you or point you in the right direction. Ask your vet who they suggest you call for something out of the ordinary or something AC will not handle. Maybe it is the zoo or an animal charity that will know where to send you. First check that they will be able to help you before you put them in your phone book. No point putting in the phone number of an agency or hospital in your contacts if in the end they don’t know what to do either.   
Fortunately some very concerned people came out of a bicycle shop with gloves and a box to capture the hawk. They had already spoken to the Center for Avian & Exotic Medicine on the upper west side and were taking the bird there. They seemed genuine in their concern and I believed they really did take the bird to the vet.  I didn’t even know that center existed but I am glad they did and it is now in my phone book.

No comments:

Post a Comment